Thursday, January 22, 2009
Design Forward Newsletter January 2009, vol. 70
Building Modular Homes
Brief synopsis taken from Seminar from Dr. Nabil Taha, structural engineer:
Many believe that lower cost is the main reason to build modular, but surprisingly, lower cost is only a secondary consideration.
1. Superior Quality is the main reason
2. followed by Quicker Building Time,
3. then Fixed Costs.
Five good reasons to build a modular home:
* Modular homes are built from the best quality lumber and are protected in a factory controlled environment. (in contract, on-site houses are typically built from average quality lumber and are open to rain and/or snow during construction, which can cause wood to warp or swell leading to a lifetime of structural and mold problems.)
* Factories offer skilled craftsmen steady employment and benefits, resulting in a consistent skilled labor force. You will have no worries about delays relating to inexperienced or tardy laborers
* With additional insulation and precision craftsmanship, modular homes can be significantly more energy efficient. Your utility bills can be far cheaper than your neighbors and save you more money in years to come.
* Factory inspections cover every construction detail of a modular home, which are built to the strictest codes (IBC and IRC).
* Faster use. You can choose a brand new inventory home that is already built and move in on your land in a matter of weeks.
Additional benefits from building modular:
* Faster Loan approvals
* Less costly design and engineering
* Guaranteed price
* Potentially better return on investment
Comment on "Building Modular Homes" on Lisa's Blog.
Modular Homes Consumers Guide... (more)
Design Forward works toward promoting Sustainable Design. If you know of a project that should be featured, please contact us. Let us know why you think it should be featured and give us a basic intro to the project, the sustainable elements and any websites or contact information.
If you would like to submit a fun and/or entertaining quote about architecture, building, the environment or such, send it in! If it at all possible, include the author.
If you have any other feedback concerning this publication, please feel free to send an email or use the form. Contact Form: http://www.designforward.net/contact.shtm
# Register Now
# Featured Link - Modular Homes Network
# Last Month's Newsletter
# Featured Link - Green Modular Homes
# Sustainable Events
# Featured Link - Green Modular Homes Company With LEED Certified Green Home